I greet you once again in the Name of Jesus!
Where is this, as we referred to it last time, Protestant march to Rome headed? What is the end-game here? Honestly, I don’t believe that many of those involved in this new ecumenical movement even know or understand the prophetic implications of that which they are involved in. I believe that many of them are being played by the Papacy and the leadership of the Roman Catholic Church.
Please understand, I in no way wish to speak disparagingly or in a critical or derogatory manner of the many fine people who belong to the Catholic Church. Many of these folks are genuinely born-again and love Jesus supremely. Most of them sadly don’t know the teachings or the history of the church to which they belong. While this will not be an examination of Catholic doctrine or history, I will simply state the fact that the traditions and practices of the RCC can be traced back to ancient paganism rather than the New Testament or first century Christianity. A simple Google© search of, “Roman Catholicism and Babylon” will return many articles demonstrating this fact. One such article can be found here. While I don’t necessarily endorse all of the content of this particular article, it does a thorough job of laying out the case for the pagan origins of RCC traditions.
With that said, lets jump into the second part of this post. I believe where all of this ecumenical push for Protestants to “come home” to the “Mother Church” is heading is the one-world religion that will be headed-up and lead by the second “beast” of Revelation 13. I have gone on the record in my book, A Journey to the End: Revelation Revisited, as stating that I believe the Pope of Rome will emerge as this PR man for the Man of Sin. The Apostle John went into great detail describing this individual:
- He will arise out of the “earth” – He will be more winsome, and approachable than will be the Antichrist (Rev. 13:11)
- He will appear to be lamb-like, as having an affinity with the Messiah Jesus, but he will speak by the same spirit as the Antichrist, as a “dragon” (Rev. 13:11)
- He will direct worship toward the Antichrist. He will have religious authority over the masses (Rev. 13:12)
- He will perform lying signs and wonders to deceive the masses into idolatrous worship of the “Beast” (Rev. 13:13, 14)
- He will erect an “image” (GR. Eikon – I-cone), a likeness or statue of the “Beast”, and then through probably advanced robotics and demonic power cause this likeness of the “beast” to appear to breathe or be alive. He will then demand that all people worship this statue at the threat of execution (Rev. 13:15).
- He will establish an economic system controlling all buying and selling and exchange of goods and services based on pledging absolute allegiance to the “Beast” by being branded with a “mark” (GR. Charagma – har-rug-ma), a stamp, imprinted mark, carving, or a graven work. The nature of this “mark” is much debated. This particular Greek word describes a brand put on horses that demonstrates ownership of the animal. It will include, as did such brands in the ancient Roman Empire, the image, name, and number of the “Beast” (Rev. 13:16, 17)
This second beast of Revelation 13 is referred to as the “false prophet” in Revelation 16:13. This false prophet wields not only religious power but tremendous political power over the nations. I believe this false, one-world “church” is pictured as fully organized and functioning in Revelation 17. I believe this ecclesiastical monstrosity will be comprised of apostate Christianity and all world-religions gathered together under the umbrella of the “Mother Church” in Rome. I know there are those who would challenge and disagree with my conclusion. I know Revelation 17 and 18 are hotly debated chapters. However, I come down on the side of a large number of not only Church Fathers, but contemporary Evangelical scholars and teachers as well.
Early Church Fathers such as Tertullian, Augustine, Eusebius, Victorinus, Hippolytus, and St. Jerome to name a few, all identified prophetic Babylon and the “Great Harlot” of Revelation 17 as Rome and the RCC. Now, does this fact alone necessarily mean this view is correct? No, but it does show at least historic precedent for this position.
Evangelical scholars such as J. Vernon McGee, John Walvrood, Grant Jeffrey, Tim LaHaye, Clarence Larkin, Chuck Missler, Finis Dake, C.I. Scofield, Bill Salus, Gary Stearman, Tom Horn, and many others also see the prophetic Babylon as Rome, a revised Roman Empire, and the “Great Harlot” as the RCC.
The “Great Harlot” is both a system and a city. It is both a religious center and a commercial hub for the nations of the world in the time of the Great Tribulation. Although this system is in existence and forming presently, it will reach it’s zenith after the true Church is caught away at the rapture. In this particular post we will focus on the “Great Harlot” as a religious entity, the one-world church, if you will.
Ever since Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, who adopted the moniker Pope Francis after St. Francis of Assisi, ascended to the Papacy he has pushed for unity in religious matters. The following timeline demonstrates this fact:
- May 2016 – Pope Francis welcomed one of the top Sunni clerics in the world to the Vatican, and reportedly told the cleric, “Our meeting is the message.” And lest you think his meaning was lost on the news media, it was not. Mainstream news outlets all over the world picked up on his meaning. For example, the Daily Mail article about the meeting was entitled, “Pope embraces grand imam at historic Vatican meeting in a bid to bring the Catholic and Muslim churches together.”
- January 2016 – The Vatican releases a disturbing video in which Pope Francis declared that all the major religions are “seeking God or meeting God in different ways” and that “ultimately we are all children of God.” The video also featured leaders from several different major religions all declaring fidelity to their particular gods. For example, first we see a female Buddhist cleric tell us “I have confidence in the Buddha”, followed by a Jewish rabbi declaring “I believe in God.” As the video goes on, a Catholic priest announces “I believe in Jesus Christ”, and last of all an Islamic leader boldly declares “I believe in God, Allah”.
- November 2015 – Pope Francis declared that Fundamentalism, even Christian fundamentalism, is a “sickness”during remarks in which he stressed the similarity of the major religions.
- September 2015 – Pope Francis traveled to New York City to deliver a speech that kicked off a conference during which the United Nations unveiled a “new universal agenda” for humanity.
- September 2015 – During a stop at St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Pope Francis stressed the unity between Christianity and Islam. These words were directly spoken by him… “I would like to express two sentiments for my Muslim brothers and sisters: Firstly, my greetings as they celebrate the feast of sacrifice. I would have wished my greeting to be warmer. My sentiments of closeness, my sentiments of closeness in the face of tragedy. The tragedy that they suffered in Mecca. In this moment, I give assurances of my prayers. I unite myself with you all. A prayer to almighty god, all merciful.”
- July 2015 – During a trip to Ecuador, Pope Francis spoke of the need for “a new economic and ecological world order” in which the wealth of the planet is “shared by everyone”.
- July 2015 – Pope Francis denounced global capitalism and refers to its excesses as the “dung of the devil”.
- June 2015 – Pope Francis called for “a new global political authority” that would have the resources necessary “to deal with the world’s economic problems and injustices”.
- October 2014 – Pope Francis publicly embraced the theory of evolution by making statements such as these…
-“When we read about Creation in Genesis, we run the risk of imagining God was a magician, with a magic wand able to do everything. But that is not so.”
-“The Big Bang, which today we hold to be the origin of the world, does not contradict the intervention of the divine creator but, rather, requires it.”
-“Evolution in nature is not inconsistent with the notion of creation, because evolution requires the creation of beings that evolve.”
By fully embracing the theory of evolution, Pope Francis has aligned himself with the leftist social engineers that are seeking to merge humanity into a socialist new world order, and he has aligned himself against “fundamentalists” that believe that there is one true God that created the heavens and the earth.
- June 2014 – For the first time in the history of Catholicism, Pope Francis authorized “Islamic prayers and readings from the Quran” at the Vatican. In ancient times, this would have been considered blasphemy, but today nobody really even notices when something like this happens.
- March 2013 – During his very first ecumenical meeting as Pope, Francis made it very clear that he believes that Christians and Muslims both “worship the one God”…
“I then greet and cordially thank you all, dear friends belonging to other religious traditions; first of all the Muslims, who worship the one God, living and merciful, and call upon Him in prayer, and all of you. I really appreciate your presence: in it I see a tangible sign of the will to grow in mutual esteem and cooperation for the common good of humanity.
The Catholic Church is aware of the importance of promoting friendship and respect between men and women of different religious traditions – I wish to repeat this: promoting friendship and respect between men and women of different religious traditions – it also attests the valuable work that the Pontifical Council for inter-religious dialogue performs.” [I am indebted to the research of Micheal Snyder in an article entitled, “Pope Francis Continues Push For One World Religion” originally appearing at the End of the American Dream, republished on prophecynewswatch.com for this timeline].
I think we can see that Pope Francis is aligned with globalists and progressives who happen to believe that we can achieve a Utopian “Golden Age” if all peoples of the world will simply lay aside their weapons and differences and strongly held religious beliefs, and simply unite and coexist. When they accomplish this however, they will find the result to be exactly the opposite of what they desired. It will bring about the greatest tyranny ever known to man under the Antichrist during the Great Tribulation period.
I have gone on the record as stating that I personally believe that Pope Francis could emerge as the False Prophet of Revelation 13. I believe that Rome, specifically Vatican City, will be the headquarters of the “harlot” religious system portrayed in Revelation 17. It will be comprised of all the religions of the world, minus of course true biblical Christianity.
Next time I want to delve into Revelation 17 and take a detailed look at this harlot religious system that make no mistake is even forming as I right these words.
Until next time,
Pastor Kevin E. Johnson