End Times News Update
Sign: Temple Mount/Holy Place
Scripture: Daniel 9:27, Matthew 24:15 & 2 Thessalonians 2:4
News Source: Haaretz.
Police rush Temple Mount as riots spread to J’lem

By Liel Kyzer and Jack Khoury
Tue., March 02, 2010 Adar 16, 5770

Four policemen were lightly wounded by Arab stone-throwers yesterday
during riots that began on the Temple Mount but soon spread to the
alleyways of Jerusalem’s Old City. Eight rioters were arrested.

The clashes died down later in the day, apparently helped by the stormy weather.

Senior police officers attributed the riots to the government’s recent
decision to declare Hebron’s Tomb of the Patriarchs and Rachel’s Tomb
near Bethlehem national heritage sites. That decision has sparked days
of rioting in Hebron, and yesterday it spread to Jerusalem, police

But Arab residents of East Jerusalem said the riots broke out because
the police allowed a larger than usual number of Jewish visitors to
ascend the Temple Mount yesterday.

The trouble began on the Temple Mount Saturday night, when some 30
Arab men entered the Al-Aqsa Mosque and refused to leave. The police
contacted officials of the Muslim Waqf (religious trust), which runs
the site, and asked them to persuade the young men to leave, but the
men refused.

Fearing that this was the prelude to a riot, police decided to try to
prevent an outbreak of violence by closing the site yesterday to all
Muslim men except those aged 50 or older and who were either Israeli
citizens or permanent residents (no restrictions were imposed on
women). However, Jews and other non-Muslim visitors were permitted to
enter as usual.

At about 8 A.M. yesterday, when the first visitors ascended the mount,
the masked men who had barricaded themselves in the mosque on Saturday
night began stoning them.

Police rushed into the compound to try to stop the stone-throwing, but
the rioters fled to the mosque and barricaded themselves in again.

At that point, police closed the mount to visitors, but the young men
continued periodically stoning the police forces stationed there.

Standing on rooftops

There were also incidents of stone-throwing at several other places in
the Old City. At 9 A.M., for instance, Arabs stoned a police force
near the Antonia Gate, which is one of the entrances to the Temple

At about the same time, several dozen Arabs tried to conduct a protest
march down the Old City’s Sultan Suleiman Street, but were dispersed
by the police.

Arabs standing on rooftops near Lions Gate, one of the entrances to
the Old City, threw stones at nearby policemen for about three hours.
There were also stone-throwing incidents in East Jerusalem’s Ras
al-Amud neighborhood.

Two policemen and two border policemen were lightly wounded by the
stone-throwers. They were treated on the spot and immediately returned
to work.

Police had feared that further rioting would erupt following noon
prayers at Al-Aqsa. But in fact, the Muslim worshipers dispersed
peacefully, and the rest of the afternoon passed quietly.

One policeman at the site attributed this to the heavy rain, which he
said persuaded the rioters to go back home.

The young men who had barricaded themselves in the mosque apparently
left with the other worshipers following the noontime prayers.

In response to yesterday’s events, several Arab Knesset members asked
the international community and the Arab League to intervene against
what they termed “Israeli aggression in Jerusalem in general and in
the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound in particular.”

Hadash chairman MK Mohammed Barakeh charged that Prime Minister
Benjamin Netanyahu and his government “interpret the [international]
silence as a green light to continue their policy of occupation and of
harming sites holy to Islam and Christianity.”

Source: Haaretz.